The Indian government introduced the Government E–Marketplace ‘GeM’ in August 2016 as an end-to-end online marketplace to facilitate online procurement of common use goods and services required by central and state government ministries, departments, public sector undertakings, autonomous institutions, organizations.
Government e-Marketplace Registration GeM is a short form of one-stop Government e-Market Place hosted by DGS&D where common user goods and services can be procured. GeM is dynamic, self-sustaining and user-friendly portal for making procurement by Government officers.
Public procurement forms a very important part of Government activity and reform in Public Procurement is one of the top priorities of the present Government. Government e-Marketplace (GeM – gem.gov.in) is a very bold step of the Government with the aim to transform the way in which procurement of goods and services is done by the Government Ministries and Departments, Public Sector Undertakings and other apex autonomous bodies of the Central Government.
GeM Advantages for Sellers
- Access to National Public Procurement market.
- No charges or fee for getting registered.
- Special provisions and sections for startups, MSMEs and Emporium products.
- Fully online, paperless and contactless platform.
- A list of prerequisites for the seller registration has been made available so that it becomes a guide to the seller during registration.
- Brand application and brand approval process has been revamped for sellers.
- Multiple invoice for single order.
- Easy access to participate in bids/reverse auction.
- Clock has been enabled in RA to display remaining time for seller participation.
- Online grievance redressal mechanism for quick resolution.
- All sellers will be shown reasons for rejection.
- Seller friendly dashboard for monitoring supplies & payments.
- Business Cockpit has been enhanced with additional parameters in existing report as well as new chart widgets based on OEM and MAIT recommendations.
- Seller belonging to North East states and J & K are exempted from ITR at the time of bid participation.
- Dynamic Pricing- Price can be changed based on market conditions.
- Direct access to Government departments and their organizations.
- Listing of products for individual, prescribed categories of Goods / Services of common use.
- Look, estimate, compare and buying facility on dynamic pricing basis.
- Market place buying of majority of common User Items.
- Buying Goods and Services online, as and when required.
- Single window system for aggregating demands and ordering.
- Transparency and ease of buying.
- Useful for low value buying and also for bulk buying at competitive price using Reverse Auction/ e-bidding.
- Continuous vendor rating system.
- User friendly dash board for buying and monitoring supplies and payments.
- Return policy.
GeM Initial Checklist
- Company name, address with PIN.
- Email ID (To get OTPs).
- Mobile number (To get OTPs).
- Company’s PAN.
- Company’s GST registration certificate.
- Company’s cancelled cheque copy.
- Company’s Udyam Registration Certificate.
- Company’s Startup India Registration certificate.
- Company’s detailed ITR (Latest).
- Authorised person’s PAN, Aadhaar and name as per ITD records.
Checklist to upload product / service Catalog
- Product / Service list / details.
- Product catalog.
- Fulfilled purchased order/s from public sector enterprises (Not more than 3 years old).
- OEM authorisation letter with unique number, date, period as applicable.
- Product photos (Front, back and close up).
Key Take away:
- If you think your prospective client / customer is from public sector enterprise, it makes business sense to get it registered on GeM.
- As soon as your profile is up (100% up), please do process the payment of caution money as per GeM policy.
- Please do participate in custom bid/s.
- Upload product / service catalog/s.
- If you are OEM, please do apply for OEM panel.
- Create your own brand (You have to have Trademark registration certificate).
- Go for vendor assessment or vendor assessment exemption (You have to have NSIC registration certificate*).
- Please do refer to GeM policy / process.
To Raise a Support Ticket, please visit: https://gem.gov.in/gemtickets
GeM Vendor Assessment – QCI Contact:
Helpline Number: +91- 9810811852
“This document is issued in the general interest of knowledge transfer purpose only and it cannot be construed in any other manner whatsoever.”
** Updated as of 25th November 2021.